DO YOU SPEND A LOT OF TIME BEHIND THE WHEEL?
Professional and commercial drivers can experience a range of musculoskeletal problems, including back, neck, shoulder and leg pain. Poor ergonomics and sitting in the same position behind the wheel for a long time are key factors in driver discomfort.
So let’s make driving more comfortable. Here’s a step-by-step guide to correct car set-up, plus some simple stretches for when you take a break from the wheel.
Follow these tips each time you get behind the wheel:
* Raise the seat as high as is comfortable to ensure maximum vision of the road.
* Move the seat forward until you can depress the clutch and accelerator pedals.
* Adjust cushion tilt angle so that the thighs are supported along the length of the cushion and avoiding pressure behind the knee.
* Adjust steering wheel for easy reach.
* Adjust Lumbar support for even pressure along the length of the back rest.
Click on the link, it will take you to the Chartered Society for Physiotherapists webiste where you can download the article "Drive Clear of Pain" http://www.csp.org.uk/publications/drive-clear-pain